If there’s one thing that crosses my mind when I see a grill, it’s “I gotta throw some mushrooms on there!” Living in an apartment in Brooklyn doesn’t allow for much grilling in the summer but we’ve got friends in rural places. Whenever we visit our Staten Islanders we’re chopping veggies and marinating meat before even saying hello to everyone.
There’s something about the dry heat that cooks mushrooms up so perfectly; you can’t get that from a pan or conventional oven. The quickest way I know of making the perfect mushrooms for that grilled filet mignon steak is to throw them on the grill, no oil, no seasoning, nothing. Let them cook until they’ve shrunk to about half their size and then toss them in butter and salt. That’s it. Even if you hate mushrooms, you’ll go crazy over this ridiculously simple side dish.
When we have a little time and get to get a little creative, we like to make keto bacon mushroom skewers. Grab a couple of friends to help you spear some ingredients and throw them on the grill. This recipe is simple and fun to eat! You can slide any extra veggies you want on to the bacon mushroom skewers but you get the prettiest effect when it’s simply mushrooms and bacon.
4-Week Keto Meal Plan
- 4 Weeks of Delicious Keto Recipes!
- Leftovers and Bulk Preps Included
- Maximize Your Keto Diet's Success
The season we used on the skewers is called Sweet Mesquite by Kirkland that you can find at Costco. It’s a mixture of sweet, salty and spicy and pairs very well with a smokey, bacon skewer. If you don’t have that, Bacon Molasses by McCormick works well and can be found in lots of supermarkets.
If you’re as big a fan of mushrooms as we are, try these creamy keto baked mushrooms from My Life Cookbook. The cream cheese sauce makes them unique and incredibly delicious!
- Rip up your mushrooms so that they're large enough to not fall through the gaps in the grill but small enough to be considered "bite size".
- Soak your skewers in water before threading the ingredients so they don't catch on fire in the grill. This applies only to wood skewers.
- Begin with a strip of bacon by spearing it on its end.
- Then spear a mushroom piece and fold over the bacon, wrapping it over the mushroom and spearing it onto the skewer as well.
- Repeat the process until you have a braid of mushroom and bacon. The mushrooms should be pretty oily at this point because of the residue bacon grease.
- Season the skewers with your favorite seasoning. We used Sweet Mesquite which works very well in this bacon, smokey recipe.
- Grill the skewers for about 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway. You can also cook these skewers in the oven but you'll get the best taste from a charcoal grill!
Loved this recipe? Let us know! Something didn’t quite turn out right? Ask us in the comments below or contact us– we respond to comments every day and would love to hear from you and help you out! And check out all our easy low carb recipes to learn to make more delicious and healthy meals!
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- EPIC Keto Krate Haul! - February 13, 2020
- 30+ Low Carb Snacks (Keto Snacks) with Little to No Prep - January 1, 2019
- Keto Browned Butter Pumpkin Spice Latte [VIDEO] - November 13, 2018
Have You Tried These Delicious Recipes?
Missing anything? Get it on
Love these recipes. I would love to purchase your books, I’m a visual person, need print!
Our books will soon be available in print format! Make sure you’re subscribed to our newsletter, we will announce it there first!