Low Carb Messy perfection!
Whether you’re a kid or a retiree, no one can resist the sweet and sticky sloppy joes! This recipe may look long and daunting but it’s easier than it seems. All it takes is a big pot or pan to cook the sloppy joes in and a giant appetite. If possible, try to get your meat from a butcher instead of buying a packaged product from a supermarket. The meat we use for our steaks is always from a butcher (many mediocre steaks before have taught us this lesson).
A few notes for this recipe:
We like a little kick of spice to all our dishes so we added a good amount of crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper and sriracha. Just something to be aware of! Also, the reason we remove the skin from the tomatoes is because it gives the end product a smoother consistency. It’s purely preference. Speaking of preference, we also leave out the Worcestershire sauce but substitute a few ingredients to make up for it (soy sauce and lemon juice).
4-Week Keto Meal Plan
- 4 Weeks of Delicious Keto Recipes!
- Leftovers and Bulk Preps Included
- Maximize Your Keto Diet's Success
Here’s how to make Sloppy Joes:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 strips bacon chopped up
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 dash crushed red pepper
- 1 dash thyme
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash basil
- 2 pretzel buns
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup pepper jack shredded
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- Chop up your onion and bacon into small bits. Throw the bacon onto a hot pan with a medium fire and spread it out so that it cooks evenly. Once the bacon is slightly brown and the pan is oiled up from the bacon grease, throw the chopped onion in and cook until it is translucent.
- Put a pot of water (just enough to cover your two tomatoes) to boil. Once it starts boiling, throw your tomatoes in and boil them for about 2 minutes or until their skins crack. Then take them out of the water and let them cool.
- While your bacon and onion is cooking, make sure your tomatoes have cooled enough to be handled and remove their skins. Crush the tomatoes with your hands into a delicious pulp and squeeze some garlic into them.
- When your onions are translucent, throw in your ground beef and start breaking it up into small chunks. You can lower the flame here as we’re going to simmer our sloppy joes slowly and don’t want anything to burn or get overcooked.
- Add in your crushed tomato and give it all a good stir.
- Now it’s time for the flavors! Add in all the seasonings, ketchup, mustard, sriracha, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice and soy sauce. Stir it all up and let all of this deliciousness simmer while you prepare the rest of the sandwich.
- Shred your pepper jack cheese if not already shredded and set it aside. We like to buy blocks of cheese rather than shredded. It just ensures the cheese is fresher.
- (Optional high carb addition): Cut your pretzel buns in half. On another pan, melt some butter until just slightly browned. Place the buns flat side down onto the butter to soak some up and get a little hot and toasted. You can also use a toaster oven for this (but probably not a conventional toaster as the pretzel buns are pretty round and wouldn’t fit).
- Once a lot of moisture has evaporated from your sloppy joes mixture and it’s gotten thicker, you can turn the fire off and prepare for scooping.
- Sprinkle your cheese on the bottom bun and then scoop as much of your sloppy joes as you can fit onto that poor bun! The cheese will melt really nicely between these two hot layers. Add your top bun and squish everything down a little. Serve with some jalapenos slices (if you dare) and enjoy the mess!
Loved this recipe? Let us know! Something didn’t quite turn out right? Ask us in the comments below or contact us– we respond to comments every day and would love to hear from you and help you out! And check out all our low carb dinner recipes to learn to make more delicious and healthy meals!
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- EPIC Keto Krate Haul! - February 13, 2020
- 30+ Low Carb Snacks (Keto Snacks) with Little to No Prep - January 1, 2019
- Keto Browned Butter Pumpkin Spice Latte [VIDEO] - November 13, 2018