More important than the recipe is…
Where you got the steak! We used to get our meats from the local supermarket but after a few, we lost our appetites. Then we found our butcher, Andrey, and our steaks have never been the same again. We learned it’s way more important where you buy your steaks than in what marinade you mask its flavor. With a prime cut of beef from a reputable source, the only ingredients you’ll need are a hot, oiled pan and salt! You can always experiment with marinades and rubs, but learning to cook a basic steak to perfection is a necessary first step.
If you’re interested, we buy our meat from Atlas Meat Market in Brooklyn, owned and operated by Andrey.
And if you want to learn a little more about different cuts, what they taste like, how to prepare it, etc. check out That’sSoYummy.com for an extensive list and a great infographic! You won’t be disappointed!
4-Week Keto Meal Plan
- 4 Weeks of Delicious Keto Recipes!
- Leftovers and Bulk Preps Included
- Maximize Your Keto Diet's Success
Now, in order to make this keto filet mignon and garlic asparagus recipe, just read on:
- 16 oz. filet mignon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 12 spears asparagus
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Marvel in your gorgeous cut of steak! Use your hands to sprinkle and rub sea salt onto all the sides of the steak. Allow the steak to sit in your salt bath for at least 40 minutes if possible (if you’re strapped for time, salt it immediately before it hits the pan).
- As the steak sits in the salt, it’s going to let out some juice. If you don’t blot the water away, you will waste heat from the pan on evaporating the water and the steak will not achieve the nice dark brown crispiness on the outside. Blot the steak well!
- Heat a pan on the stovetop with some olive oil until the pan and the oil are very, very hot. You want the steak to start searing as soon as it hits the pan.
- Place the steak on the pan and allow it to cook for about 4 minutes per inch, per side for a medium. Our steak was on the thicker side and we like it medium-rare so we kept it on for about 7 minutes on each side.
- When the steak is done cooking, transfer it to a plate, cover the plate with foil and let the steak rest 5 minutes. This will allow the juices to settle so that when you first cut into the steak they don’t go leaking everywhere.
- While the steak is resting, throw the asparagus onto your pan on a lower flame. Salt and let them cook for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Give them a squirt of the lemon juice and squeeze the garlic halfway through. To double the favlor, add butter toward the end!
- Take your rested steak and introduce it to your garlic asparagus. Don’t be afraid to add extra salt; it will greatly bring out the flavor of the steak.
Now you know how to cook steak! Need help choosing the right cut to ask for at your local butcher? Check out this page for some of the more popular steaks and their descriptions. Our favorite cut is the filet mignon (or tenderloin) and we highly recommend it!
Loved this recipe? Let us know! Something didn’t quite turn out right? Ask us in the comments below or contact us– we respond to comments every day and would love to hear from you and help you out! And check out all our low carb dinner recipes to learn to make more delicious and healthy meals!
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- EPIC Keto Krate Haul! - February 13, 2020
- 30+ Low Carb Snacks (Keto Snacks) with Little to No Prep - January 1, 2019
- Keto Browned Butter Pumpkin Spice Latte [VIDEO] - November 13, 2018
Have You Tried These Delicious Recipes?
Missing anything? Get it on