Do You Have Your Keto Basics?
We’ve been getting a lot of requests lately for breakfasts that aren’t eggs. More people than we could have ever imagined have egg allergies and breakfast for them can sometimes be limited. That, and most people need a break from eating eggs every morning!
So we decided to take the smoothie route. Not everyone on a low carb diet enjoys smoothies because they are usually fruit based. Not ours! There’s not a single fruit in our green breakfast smoothie… unless you count avocado. Each ingredient lends not only to the gorgeous green smoothie’s color but provides necessary nutrients to kick start your day. Think celery is just a filler vegetable? Think again:
- Celery: full of calcium, sodium, copper, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium. It contains fatty acids and vitamins including vitamin A, C, E, D, B6, B12 and vitamin K as well as thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid and fiber.1
- Cucumber: with all its vitamin K, B vitamins, copper, potassium, vitamin C, and manganese, it can help you to avoid nutrient deficiencies that are widespread among those eating a typical American diet.2
- Avocado: full of vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin E, small amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous, vitamin A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin).3
- Spinach: vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K1, folic acid, iron, calcium plus several other vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, magnesium, and vitamins B6, B9 and E.4
- Chia seeds: contain lots of fiber, protein, fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s), calcium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, they also contain a decent amount of zinc, vitamin B3 (niacin), potassium, vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B2.5
- Coconut oil: where do the benefits stop? Check out our full article on the benefits of coconut oil.
- Matcha: adds a boost of slow-releasing, steady caffeine and is packed with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg, fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins. It also provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium.6
The ingredients together make a powerhouse of a drink and can be whipped together in just a few minutes. Try it out and let us know what you think!
Loved this recipe? Let us know! Something didn’t quite turn out right? Ask us in the comments below or contact us– we respond to comments every day and would love to hear from you and help you out! And check out all our drinks to learn to make more delicious and healthy recipes!
Have You Tried These Delicious Recipes?
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.