Keto, Paleo & Super Filling!
This video recipe has been in the works for over a month! We first posted about editing the video on our Instagram but only a few days later, my laptop decided to spontaneously burst into non-functionality. I’ve had more blue screens than I could ever count in the last month and video editing was definitely out of the question.
So, lonely it sat on my hard drive, waiting to be finished and shared with the world. Today is the day!
Say hello to this delicious and creamy Keto Japanese Pumpkin Soup recipe. So much to say about this recipe… We got our inspiration while we were living abroad in Thailand, at a restaurant in Chiang Mai, called David’s Kitchen. We’d like to preface this recipe by saying our version of his Japanese Pumpkin Soup may not be as good, but it’s a hell of a lot lower in carbs!
4-Week Keto Meal Plan
- 4 Weeks of Delicious Keto Recipes!
- Leftovers and Bulk Preps Included
- Maximize Your Keto Diet's Success
In 2016, David’s Kitchen was awarded the #1 best Fine Dining Restaurant in all of Asia by Trip Advisor! In the entire continent! We drew so much inspiration from eating there (twice) that we decided to create a video recipe for a version of this soup we so enjoyed.
This soup can’t be described as just a soup – but more of a bisque, or veloute of pumpkin puree. It’s quite heavy, so stock up on it and grab it on the go for lunch. You’ll be full until well past dinner time!
- 3 lbs Japanese pumpkin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (or ghee)
- 2 cups heavy cream (or coconut cream)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 - 1 cup water or broth
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400°F. Cut open the Japanese pumpkin and remove the seeds and pulp. Chop into smaller, 2-inch cubes.
- Arrange evenly on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and add a sprinkle of sea salt. Bake for about 40 minutes.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, finely chop the white onion and cook for about 8 minutes on low heat in the unsalted butter.
- When the onion is translucent, transfer off the heat.
- In a food processor, blend 2 cups of heavy cream for about 5 minutes or until it has been whipped and looks lighter.
- Add the cooked white onion, garlic powder, sea salt and fresh rosemary. You can also use dried rosemary, about 2 tablespoons. Blend to incorporate.
- When the pumpkin has roasted, allow it to cool a bit, then peel the skins off. Don't worry if some of the skin stays attached. Throw the peeled pumpkin into the food processor and blend until completely combined and creamy. This may take some time.
- Transfer the pumpkin soup mixture to a pot on medium heat. Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water or broth to thin the soup out and heat until desired warmness.
- Serve with a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds and enjoy!
Loved this recipe? Let us know! Something didn’t quite turn out right? Ask us in the comments below – we respond to comments every day and would love to hear from you and help you out! And check out all our low carb dinner recipes to learn to make more delicious and healthy meals that take no time to prepare!
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- EPIC Keto Krate Haul! - February 13, 2020
- 30+ Low Carb Snacks (Keto Snacks) with Little to No Prep - January 1, 2019
- Keto Browned Butter Pumpkin Spice Latte [VIDEO] - November 13, 2018
Have You Tried These Delicious Recipes?
Missing anything? Get it on
Unique and incredible!! looks so delicious!! Keep sharing Vicky!!
Thanks so much Annissa!