Keto Lasagna is Real!
Man, I use to miss lasagna so much. Before starting a keto diet, I was a big pasta eater. I loved spaghetti and tortellini and definitely a good, hearty lasagna. However, the low carb lifestyle was calling my name (I mean, all the great health benefits of the keto diet can’t be beat!). So I said goodbye to my favorite pasta dishes and goodbye to lasagna, or so I thought…
After missing lasagna in my life, I decided to whip up a keto version of my favorite meal and the keto zucchini lasagna was born. After a few trial runs on the recipe, lots of lasagna nights in our house and a couple of tweaks, it is finally perfected and here for you to enjoy! So how can lasagna possibly be keto? Take a look and find out!
4-Week Keto Meal Plan
- 4 Weeks of Delicious Keto Recipes!
- Leftovers and Bulk Preps Included
- Maximize Your Keto Diet's Success
The biggest change in a keto lasagna when compared to a regular lasagna is the noodles. Those high carb noodles have got to go! Did you know that one slice of lasagna can easily have 40 carbs? That is way too much! So rather than use noodles, I opted for zucchini noodles. All you need to make zucchini noodles is a zucchini! Cut the zucchini into very thin, long strips in order to make the noodles. If you have a mandolin slicer, now is the time to use it! A mandolin will make perfectly uniform, very thin “noodles” that are ideal for this recipe. If you don’t have one, no worries- a knife will work too!
Not only does zucchini have way fewer carbs than pasta noodles, but they have their own set of health benefits to make you feel good about eating this lasagna. Zucchini is high in antioxidants, can aid in digestion, can reduce blood sugar levels and can even improve your vision. Sounds pretty amazing! Give me some extra zucchini…
The next part of this recipe that has been adjusted to be low carb is the sauce. We stick to using just one can of crushed tomatoes to make the sauce for the lasagna. Because of this, our lasagna has a little less sauce than you may be used to, but the sauce that it does have is loaded with amazing flavors! Made with ground beef, onions, garlic and the perfect blend of herbs, you will go crazy for this tasty sauce. And don’t worry, there is plenty of sauce and cheese to make this lasagna just perfect while keeping the carbs down.
Layers of sauce, zucchini noodles and lots of flavorful, amazing cheese is what this awesome low carb lasagna is all about. Feel free to put your own twist on the recipe, using more parmesan, maybe trying the sauce with ground turkey or you can even use yellow summer squash instead of zucchini. With so many ways to make a keto lasagna, you never have to miss your favorite Italian meal ever again! Give this recipe a try and then let us know what you think. We know you will love it.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 zuccnini
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Start by making the sauce. Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium. Add the onion to the pot and cook until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic to the pan along with the ground beef.
- Cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink, chopping it up with a spatula as it cooks to make small pieces.
- Add the bay leaf, dried basil, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the canned tomatoes and stir again. Cook the sauce for about 10 minutes, simmering slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Start the lasagna by slicing the zucchini into long, thin strips. Use a mandolin slicer or a sharp knife to make the lasagna “noodles”.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the egg, oregano, ricotta and parmesan.
- Assemble the lasagna. Scoop a small amount of sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. Make a layer of zucchini noodles on the bottom of the pan and then top with more sauce followed by the ricotta filling. Spread the cheese filling across the entire pan then top with some of the mozzarella and another layer of zucchini noodles. Continue layering the lasagna, sauce, cheese filling and mozzarella until the pan is full and you are out of ingredients. End with mozzarella sprinkled on the top of the pan.
- Bake the lasagna in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 40 minutes then slice and serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley as the garnish.
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- Keto Overnight Oats - July 20, 2021
- Keto White Chicken Chili Recipe - July 13, 2021
- Keto Cookie Dough Fat Bombs Recipe - July 6, 2021