Dig into these Authentic Chicken Enchiladas!
If you’re in the mood for something low carb AND full of flavor then Authentic Chicken Enchiladas are a must-try! Don’t settle for a boring and bland meal when you can have something as delicious as this recipe. What makes this dish so amazing? We’re glad you asked. Not only is it packed with seasonings that will satisfy your pallet, but the combination of zucchini, chicken and perfectly melted cheese makes this an absolutely hearty recipe that’s 100% satisfying.
Chicken Enchiladas are known for flavor, but maybe not considered at the top of the list of healthy options. You may be scratching your head about how in the world this dish is possibly low carb. When it comes to the keto diet the main focus is to make healthy decisions regarding carb count. In the traditional recipe, the tortilla is used to wrap up the ingredients. However, a tortilla is loaded with unnecessary carbs and doesn’t add a lot of flavor or substance to the dish. However, if you swap out the tortilla for a freshly sliced zucchini then you have a low carb substitute that actually adds more flavor to the entire dish!
4-Week Keto Meal Plan
- 4 Weeks of Delicious Keto Recipes!
- Leftovers and Bulk Preps Included
- Maximize Your Keto Diet's Success
Authentic Chicken Enchiladas is an easy recipe that can be used as a lunch or dinner. Nobody likes eating the same thing over and over so spice things up with this flavorful dish! This recipe actually makes six servings, but if you’re cooking for one you could always opt to use the leftovers for a delicious meal throughout your busy work week. If you’ve been looking for a healthier chicken enchilada recipe then this dish has it all–amazing flavor, easy to prepare, and totally filling. You just can’t go wrong when you serve up this low carb dish!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked chicken thighs shredded
- 1 1/4 cup enchilada sauce divided
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- sour cream to serve
- fresh cilantro to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a rectangular baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat then add the onion – season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the onion until browned, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, and cumin along with the shredded chicken and 1 cup of enchilada sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes while you prepare the zucchini “tortillas”.
- Use a mandolin or vegetable peeler to peel the zucchini lengthwise into thin slices.
- Take four slices of zucchini and lay them out on a cutting board, the edges overlapping slightly to form a tortilla shape.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the chicken along the length of the tortilla about ½ inch from the edge then carefully roll it up and place it in the baking sheet.
- Repeat with the rest of the zucchini and chicken mixture, filling the baking dish with a single layer of roll-ups.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the rolls-ups and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and lightly browned then serve hot with sour cream and fresh cilantro.
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- Keto Lemon and Toasted Coconut Squares Recipe - June 13, 2019
- Cheesy Ham & Chive Keto Souffle Recipe - June 10, 2019
- Copycat Sausage Egg Muffin Recipe - June 6, 2019