This question would be an easy one for my professional bodybuilder friends. What’s the difference between brown and white fat? Well, the difference would be tanning. Brown fat always appears better to the judges than white fat. Of course, my bodybuilding friends are all smart alecks.
There are two types of fat in your body. I’m not talking about cheeseburger fat and ice-cream fat. There is white fat and brown fat in your body. The white fat is easier to pinpoint. It is found just below the skin most of the time and comes from overeating.
Once again, white fat accumulates in your body from eating too much or eating the wrong foods. It is the fat most of us try to avoid putting on, especially if we are going to the beach anytime soon.
White fat does take care of our bodies in certain ways like regulating our temperature by insulation. This kind of fat can be subcutaneous or visceral. Subcutaneous fat is found close to the surface of the skin and visceral fat is found in the abdominal cavity near several vital organs. Unfortunately, white fat continues to make hunger levels rise and can have a negative effect on hormone production.
In addition, a recent ranking emerged of the most overweight countries in the world. The United States loves to be first in being recognized as a world leader, but this is one category that they should rethink. America is the fattest nation in the world.1 About forty percent of adults in the U.S. are either overweight or clinically obese. This has many negative effects, not just on the people themselves, but it is also what drives up everyone’s health insurance premiums.
All fat is not bad. Brown fat cells contain mitochondria which break down carbs and fatty acids to make energy and create heat. Because of this, brown fat is quite unlike white fat and acts more like muscle tissue. Brown fat will actually burn white fat for energy sometimes. It will also keep you warm when needed by using excess fat stores for fuel.
Doctors used to believe that only babies had brown fat and that they were born with it but back in 2009, researchers began finding a small amount of brown fat in adults.
Now that you know there are several benefits to having brown fat in your body, the question is how do you increase the amount of overall brown fat. Are there magic foods you should be eating?
How to Increase Brown Fat
There are certain ways to increase the brown fat in your body, but it is not easy to do. It’s not like you can go to the supermarket and buy foods that have brown fat in them. Follow these ways below to perhaps raise your own brown fat levels.
- One way to increase your brown fat is by eating just right calorically. That means you do not overeat by consuming way too many calories, and you do not undereat by starving yourself. This will, in time, increase your brown fat.
- Ursolic acid has been shown to increase brown fat in a clinical trial performed with mice. The problem is you just cannot walk into a store and ask for a cup of ursolic acid. It’s actually contained in apple peels.2
- Exercise increases brown fat. It is sort of like the rich getting richer. Once you are in good shape, your brown fat will increase. So not only can you have your lean muscle burning calories, but brown fat will be doing it as well.
- Keeping the thermostat down low is another way to increase the brown fat in your body. It also activates the brown fat in your body and allows you to burn more calories. So you will either catch pneumonia or be turned into a white fat burning machine.
- Melatonin can increase the amount of brown fat in your body. If you get extra melatonin through supplements, it can actually make you very sleepy. Raise it the natural way by eating almonds and tomatoes.
Activating Your Brown Fat
Now that you know how to increase brown fat, let’s get it activated as much as we can. It won’t just kick in on its own. Follow these tips to get your brown fat roaring into action.
- Spending time in cold temperature will actually activate brown fat in your body to start burning more calories. You don’t have to lower the temperature in your house to anything drastic. Just drop it a few degrees. We want your brown fat thriving, not you as a human ice cube.3
- In the same way, cold showers will also activate your brown fat. It may take a bit of getting used to, but through all your shivering you will be burning white fat with your chattering teeth.
- A good night of sleep can kick brown fat into action.4
There you have it! I realize I may be blowing your mind right now. Two types of fat in your body and brown fat is actually quite good for you? Science is full of surprises. Eat healthy, exercise, and possibly load up on apple peels depending upon if you think that it will affect you the same as it did with the mice. Increasing and activating your brown fat cells will have a good outcome for you and is far better than increasing your white fat.
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- What’s the Difference Between Brown and White Fat? - February 13, 2018
- How Much More Fat Does the Keto Diet Burn Than a Regular Diet? - January 3, 2018