Low Carb Vegetable Soup
While winter is definitely the time when soups prevail, you still may be craving soup on those cooler spring days. However, spring also brings lots of fresh veggies to the table that you may also want to use. That is when you should give this spring minestrone soup a try. It is loaded with fresh, keto vegetables while still being a warm and filling meal option. To top it all off, not only is the recipe perfect for the keto diet but it is also vegetarian! A soup that is great for multiple diets is one that you must make right away.
The main vegetables in this soup recipe are kale, asparagus, and artichoke hearts. When crafting our soup, we tried to stick with vegetables that you would find in the early spring and, of course, are also great when you are on a keto diet. Each of these veggies fit that bill. They are low carb and abundant in your garden in the spring.
4-Week Keto Meal Plan
- 4 Weeks of Delicious Keto Recipes!
- Leftovers and Bulk Preps Included
- Maximize Your Keto Diet's Success
If you want to swap out any of these veggies for a different keto option, you definitely can. Use spinach in place of kale, broccoli or cauliflower instead of artichoke hearts and green beans rather than asparagus. Of course, as is true with any alterations you make to a recipe, these changes will affect the macros of the recipe. If you are seriously trying to stick to a certain carb count, you may want to recalculate the recipe based on the changes you make to ensure you stay within your keto limits!
The base of the soup is crafted with canned, diced tomatoes as well as vegetable broth. If you want to use fresh tomatoes rather than canned, that is definitely an option. About 2 large diced tomatoes can be substituted for one can of diced tomatoes. Just be sure to add in all the juice from the tomatoes or you may want to add a splash more of vegetable broth to ensure the soup has enough liquid.
Our spring minestrone soup is really quite simple to make, sautéing a few seasonings, adding a broth, and then stirring in some vegetables is essentially what the recipe amounts to. It is definitely a recipe that anyone will have success making! Serve the soup while hot or put it in airtight containers to freeze for a later date (skip adding the parmesan at the end if you are freezing!). We know that you will enjoy this fresh, vegetable-filled, spring-inspired soup!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 ounces
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or broth)
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can artichoke hearts (drained, rinsed)
- 1/2 pound asparagus, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the garlic begins to brown.
- Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the basil, salt and pepper and stir
- Add the artichoke hearts and asparagus and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the kale and stir well. Cook for another minute to wilt the kale and then scoop into bowls.
- Top with the grated Parmesan and enjoy hot!
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- Keto Overnight Oats - July 20, 2021
- Keto White Chicken Chili Recipe - July 13, 2021
- Keto Cookie Dough Fat Bombs Recipe - July 6, 2021