Low Carb Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese doesn’t seem like a meal you would be able to enjoy on a keto diet. After all, doesn’t grilled cheese need bread? How would a keto, low carb, grilled cheese even work? Well, we have figured it out and let me just say that it is amazing! You no longer have to crave grilled cheese while sticking to your keto diet- this recipe will give you the best of both worlds!
We made the “bread for our grilled cheese using cauliflower. Riced cauliflower is like a keto, ingredient powerhouse. You can use it for so many things! It is perfect for serving as a side dish like “rice” and it is also a great base for keto bread. We have made lots of bread recipes revolving around cauliflower rice but this one is the easiest and perfect for stuffing with lots of melty cheeses.
4-Week Keto Meal Plan
- 4 Weeks of Delicious Keto Recipes!
- Leftovers and Bulk Preps Included
- Maximize Your Keto Diet's Success
The first step to making bread with cauliflower rice is to be sure to squeeze any extra water out of the rice as possible after you have steamed it. The more water you can get out, the better the texture of your bread will be. So push that rice through a sieve, squeeze it in a piece of cheese cloth or just use you hands to press out the water- anything to get it as dry as possible! You want your bread to be able to get crispy which will only happen when there isn’t too much moisture.
Once your cauliflower rice is dry, you mix it with the egg and seasonings. A little cheese goes into the bread as well to give it some extra tasty, salty flavors. Spread the mix on a sheet tray in a square and then bake. That is really all it takes to make the low carb bread for your keto grilled cheese! Easy right?
You can definitely double this recipe and bake the bread to use for later. We recommend baking it fully then storing the “bread” slices in freezer safe bags. Freeze the cauliflower bread for up to a month. Whenever you are ready to use it, take out a slice and heat it in your toaster oven or place it back in your big oven at 350 degrees for another 5 minutes to re-crisp the bread.
Our recipe for keto grilled cheese uses a combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheese as the filling for the sandwich. Of course, you can just use your favorite grilled cheese cheeses but we really like the taste of his combination. You get that stretchy mozzarella and that salty cheddar- it is pretty perfect!
Place the cheese in between the baked cauliflower bread and cook the sandwich just like you would make a “regular” grilled cheese. The cheese will melt, the bread will toast and you will have a perfect lunch (or dinner) ready to enjoy in just a few minutes!
Let us know if you make this tasty keto grilled cheese and what you think of our recipe. Leave a picture of your grilled cheese too- we love to see your low carb creations! Enjoy!
- 4 cups riced cauliflower, steamed
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a flat baking sheet by lining it with foil.
- Squeeze as much water out of the steamed cauliflower as possible. Press it inside a fine mesh sieve or squeeze it in a piece of cheesecloth until it is nice and dry.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a bowl along with the egg, ½ cup of grated cheddar cheese, dried basil, oregano and ground black pepper. Stir the mix well.
- Spread the cauliflower mix on the tray, keeping it as square and flat as possible. The mix should be about ½ and inch thick.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cut the cauliflower sheet into eight squares to be the “bread” for your grilled cheese.
- Place the butter in a large skillet and then lay a slice of the cauliflower “bread” in the pan. Top the bread with about ½ cup of the grated mozzarella and 1/3 cup of the grated cheddar cheese. Place another piece of the cauliflower bread on top to make your grilled cheese sandwich.
- Cover the saute pan and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove the cover, flip the bread, and cook for another 2 minutes to fully melt the cheese.
- Once the cheese has melted, remove the sandwich from the pan and serve while hot. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining bread and cheese to make 4 grilled cheese sandwiches.
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- Keto Overnight Oats - July 20, 2021
- Keto White Chicken Chili Recipe - July 13, 2021
- Keto Cookie Dough Fat Bombs Recipe - July 6, 2021