Delicious and Hearty Keto Stuffed Peppers
I love stuffed peppers. I love how they are a complete meal in one pretty little package. They look awesome sitting on a buffet or placed gently on a beautiful plate. Of course, stuffed pepper also just tastes delicious and are a great blend of spicy, savory, and cheesiness- who can resist!
When I started on my keto journey, I thought that stuffed peppers would be a food of my past. After all, peppers can be high in carbs and the recipe for stuffed peppers that I used to use was full of rice which is definitely not a low carb food. I was about to give up on stuffed peppers until I decided I just couldn’t’ do it. There had to be a keto way! And guess what- there is!
Low carb stuffed peppers are definitely something that can fit into your keto diet and here is how. First of all, the traditional rice that goes into the pepper stuffing has got to go. Goodbye rice! We didn’t need you anyway! Next, you have to take a look at the sauce that the peppers will be cooking in. Lots of tomato sauces are full of carbohydrates. Not only are there carbs from the tomatoes, but there are also added carbs in lots of sauces. Sugar and corn syrup are often added to grocery store tomato sauce and that just won’t do!
4-Week Keto Meal Plan
- 4 Weeks of Delicious Keto Recipes!
- Leftovers and Bulk Preps Included
- Maximize Your Keto Diet's Success
We have two options for you to make a low-carb, keto tomato sauce that is perfect for these stuffed peppers. First, you can follow our recipe exactly, using crushed tomatoes as the main “sauce”. You can also replace the canned crushed tomatoes with a low carb marinara sauce like Rao’s tomato sauce. This will give you a little more flavor with pretty much no effort. A total keto culinary win!
We used green bell peppers in our recipes but you can feel free to use whatever color bell pepper you can find. In fact, it can be fun to have all different colored peppers to make your baking dish even prettier. Especially consider this when you are serving this recipe to company- the added color just looks impressive!
One thing to keep in mind is that red bell peppers have more carbs than green bell peppers. While it is a small amount more (one more carb in a red pepper versus a green pepper), it is still important for a keto dieter to know! Those sneaky carbs are always trying to find their way into our favorite recipes!
If you are craving stuffed peppers or just looking for an easy, new keto recipe to try, this is the next thing you should be cooking in your kitchen. Make our low carb stuffed peppers in the summer when bell peppers are in season or whip up a batch in the winter when you need a warm and hearty dish- they are simply great anytime! I’m pretty excited that I can still eat one of my favorite meals even when I’m trying to eat low carb. Keto stuffed peppers for the win! Enjoy.
- 4 green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 9x12 casserole baking dish.
- Cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the center seeds and membranes. Place the peppers in the baking dish, standing up with the hollowed side facing upward.
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet and saute the onions and garlic until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. Chop the beef with a spatula as it cooks so that it is in small pieces.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and tomatoes to the pan and stir well. Simmer the mix for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and then stir in half of the cheese.
- Scoop the beef mix into the peppers in the pan, stuffing them equally. Sprinkle the tops of the peppers with the remaining cheese
- Bake the peppers in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese on the top has melted and is beginning to brown. Serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream.
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- Keto Overnight Oats - July 20, 2021
- Keto White Chicken Chili Recipe - July 13, 2021
- Keto Cookie Dough Fat Bombs Recipe - July 6, 2021