Amazing, Low Carb Apple Crisp
Apple season is in full swing and you can find apple-everything in the stores. Apple cider, apple pie, apple muffins and about 100 different varieties of apples are lining the shelves. But for true keto followers, apples are a big N.O. What is an apple loving, low carb dieter to do?! Get creative, of course.
That is exactly what we did in order to make a keto approve apple crisp- we had to think about ways to make the crisp without apples…but still taste like apples! After a few trials and a lot of taste testing, we found that magic ingredient that made a delicious “apple” crisp without ever having to peel a real apple. What did we use? The secret ingredient is zucchini!
Zucchini actually has a very similar texture as an apple. When peeled and chopped, zucchini and apples are both similar in color, crunch and both have a subtle taste. One cup of chopped zucchini has about 4 grams of carbs. A cup of chopped apples on the other hand has 17 grams of carbs. That is more than 4 times more carbohydrates in apples! So, using chopped zucchini in place of that high carb fruit is a great solution. Luckily, zucchini season and apple season overlap so you should be able to find some fresh zucchini around the same time you start craving apples.
4-Week Keto Meal Plan
- 4 Weeks of Delicious Keto Recipes!
- Leftovers and Bulk Preps Included
- Maximize Your Keto Diet's Success
Of course, to make the crisp taste like a real fall-favorite dessert, the spices and seasonings need to be spot on. We used the perfect blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger which are all classic apple crisp spices. A touch of lemon juice gives the mix a little tang while the So Nourished GOLD adds a rich, brown sugar-like taste. Follow the recipe exactly as written as it really will make or break your apple crisp. You need those ingredients that mimic a real apple crisp in order to make a perfect keto version.
Making this recipe is just as easy (or easier) than making a traditional crisp. First, the zucchini and lemon juice are sautéed in a skillet to soften the zucchini. While our recipe asks for chopped zucchini, you can definitely use zucchini slices if you prefer. The slices will cook a little faster since they are thinner. Be sure to check as they cook and turn off the heat once the veggie is soft and tender.
Once cooked, the erythritol and spices are added to the pan and the crisp is sprinkled with a crumble topping. Our topping is made using almond flour but you can also try using coconut flour in it’s place. Use ¾ cup of coconut flour in place of 1 cup almond flour. The entire pan is baked in the oven until the topping turns brown. If you do not have an oven-safe skillet or just prefer a more traditional pan. Pour the zucchini mix into a 9-inch pie pan or a 9 inch round cake pan and sprinkle with the crumble mix once in the new pan. This will work great as well!
The zucchini “apple” crisp is going to make your house smell fantastic as it bakes. The warm cinnamon scent is one that just can’t be beaten! Give this delicious, low carb apple crisp recipe a try and let us know what you think! One bite and you may never miss apples ever again!
- 4 cups chopped, peeled zucchini
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup So Nourished GOLD
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 tbsp So Nourished monk fruit erythritol sweetener
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the zucchini and lemon juice in a large, oven safe skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring as needed, until the zucchini is soft and cooked well- about 10 minutes.
- Add the So Nourished GOLD, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, vanilla and salt to the pan and stir well to coat the zucchini in the spices.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, butter, monkfruit blend and cinnamon. Mix with your hands to make a nice, crumbly mix.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the zucchini in the skillet.
- Place the whole skillet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before scooping and serving.
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers. We use Total Keto Diet app software to calculate the nutrition and we remove fiber and sugar alcohols, like erythritol, from the total carbohydrate count to get to the net carb count, as they do not affect your blood glucose levels. You should independently calculate nutritional information on your own and not rely on our data. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
- Keto Overnight Oats - July 20, 2021
- Keto White Chicken Chili Recipe - July 13, 2021
- Keto Cookie Dough Fat Bombs Recipe - July 6, 2021